Saturday, April 4, 2009

Be a Mary

As I have been thinking about General Conference this week I found myself getting super excited. I love Conference, I am always excited to hear what words of wisdom I am going to recieve or what little "Jems" I can use in my day to day life. I was also excited to find out who the new apostle was going to be? I am so bad but right now all I can remember is something Anderson, we will meet him tomorrow. So anyway I got up this morning all ready to be spiritually fed (well not really morning, now that we are on Eastern time the first session was at noon but regardless) I turned it on early to listen the a little Mo-Tab and sat down to listen.... This is when the problem started.
I would snuggle up on the couch and be ready to go and then I would get up and go check on something, then on my way back I had to start the dishwasher, then someone needs some food, someone needs a diaper, the phone rings ect ect ect
Ahhh I am missing my spiritual feeding!!!

And then it hit me WHO CARES who cares what my house looks like who cares if we need food (ok toss your kids a cracker or 2) who cares if the kids are dressed...Whatever!

I need to listen to Conference, I need to hear the words of the Prophet and his Apostles. Sure I would prefer my house to be clean and I would prefer that we have some yummy goodies to keep us focussed while we listen but if it didn't get done before it starts... Drop It

So I stopped caring I parked my butt down on the couch and LISTENED. I am in no way saying I am perfect but I just think that there are sometimes it's good to be a Mary instead of a Martha.
When the Savior came to visit them Mary sat at his feet and "feasted" while Martha (bless her, best of intentions) cooked and cleaned, and may have missed out on some well deserved "her" time as well as some spiritual upliftment. I imagine Mary's house being neat but somewhat "lived in"... that sounds about right. I know Saturday is hard but my goal is to have a Sunday filled with listening to the Prophet and receiving some much needed inspiration!

Happy Conference !!!

And let's be real I am also so glad that it comes out in print next month for those ones that just get away from us.

ps. go to lds.org to watch

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love conference too. My goal is to also try to read all the talks once they are in print so more of the info sticks in my brain!

Brittany said...

so this is bad but not until last year did I get really excited to listen to conference and man was i missing out before. thanks for the reminder sometimes those distractions are hard but hopefully we can all get something from their messages. Yeah for baby Henry, we will continue to remember their family in our prayers! does she have an email address?

Julie Johnston said...

What a blessing I read this! I was way too Martha(not Stewart) today and tomorrow I'm going to try Mary on for size and I'll let you know the outcome. (Just a guess but I think I'll like her on me...I think my husband and children will too...sadly it doesn't come super naturally so I'll have to try really hard. The spiritual feeding tomorrow will definately help.)
Love ya Jacklyn.

Angela Bridge said...

loved loved loved it
your right i need to just stop with my busy life and LISTEN.... hehe
serious time jack you are a amazing example, i hope i grow up to be just like YOU!

LindsayB said...

i left my kitchen breakfast disaster to go watch conf on advice from you, thanks, it was worth it. but i still have to go clean it up now, dang.

Kristin Ross said...

I recorded the Saturday sessions (all of them actually) to watch during the week and had a family day instead. Does that count?

lynz said...

good job mary and good thought to help all of us reflect on the martha in us :) i know that i'm way too martha and need a little mary time every once in a while!